A sales call may be one of the most daunting things to do, however every day sales call must be made to ensure that businesses continue to move forward. Understanding this, the next mountain to climb is to overcome call reluctancy. In this snippet from an interview between Dale Beaumont and Jenny Cartwright, find out eight ways to overcome sales call reluctance.
Jenny is one of Australia’s top Telesales experts. From 1991 to 1997 she used direct mail and telemarketing campaigns to successfully promote inspiring coaches such as Tom Hopkins and Anthony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, James Rohn and Denis Waitley.
What should sales people do to overcome call reluctance?
It is normally generally a fear of rejection that causes call reluctance. But it could also be not having enough information to talk about the product or service with confidence or another cause of call reluctance is a lack of motivation, which sometimes develops from not setting any goals.
Some of the ways to overcome call reluctance are:
- Learn more about your products and services so that you can be more confident when talking about them. Remember, knowledge is power.
- Always set goals for the number of calls you want to make every day and the sales or appointments you want to achieve. To stay motivated, ensure that you are able to measure your success.
- Be aware of your self-talk, attitudes and beliefs. For example, you might say to yourself, ‘Oh, there’s no point ringing him, he’ll be at lunch’. This is not a goal- supporting statement and you need to catch yourself saying it – write it down and change it to a goal- supporting statement, such as – ‘Last time I rang him he was at lunch. I’m sure he doesn’t go out to lunch every day so I might catch him if I ring him now’.
- Always expect a yes because if you expect a no you will certainly get one.
- Focus on your successes and not your rejections.
- Surround yourself with things that relax you. For example, photos, music, a nice screensaver, flowers.
- Have an uncluttered desk to keep your mind clear.
- Think of something far more frightening than cold-calling!
For more of this interview check out “Secrets of Top Sales Professionals Exposed!“.