Going into a negotiation and unsure of the outcome? In this snapshot of an interview Wayne Berry shares with Dale Beaumont his eight top tips for a successful negotiation.
In 1979, Wayne founded Wayne Berry Associates, a sales training company, which became one of Australia’s leading seminar promoters bringing some of the world’s most famous speakers to Australia, New Zealand and South-East Asia, including James Rohn, Earl Nightingale, Dr Denis Waitley, Brian Tracy and many others.
What are your top tips for a successful negotiation?
- Remember everything is negotiable.
- Do as much research as you can before you begin. What are their deadlines? Who is the decision-maker? What alternatives might they have?
- Try for a cooperative win-win negotiation rather than a combative one.
- Understand that there are usually more than 20 sources of power in every negotiation. For example, information, time, money, alternatives, competition, willingness to walk away.
- Seek to understand their needs before you put forward any offers.
- Preferably have them make the first offer (then flinch).
- If you have to make a concession, make them work for it and be sure to get something in return.
- Be sure to put the agreement in writing so there are no misunderstandings afterward.
For more of this interview and successful negotiation tips check out “Secrets of Top Sales Professionals Exposed!“