Becoming a great leader is an incredible dream to pursue. Whatever a great leader puts his mind to he or she can achieve it. In this snippet from an interview between Dale Beaumont and Ron McLean discover four top tips to be a great leader.
Today, Ron is the managing director of business consultancy company, Creating Synergy. A true entrepreneur, business mentor, author and inspirational speaker, he has a ‘can do’ attitude and believes in people and businesses reaching their potential in any circumstances.
What are your top tips for becoming a great leader?
- Strengths and weaknesses – know yourself, build on your strengths, acknowledge your weaknesses and develop strategies to overcome them. Work at this constantly!
- Communicate effectively – conveying ideas and messages is probably the most important skill to learn. Being able to communicate in various ways – audio, visual or kinaesthetic – is a prerequisite for effective leadership.
- Listen – you can discover so much information by listening rather than talking to people. Listening is also a way to build trust with your team.
- Step up – as a leader you need to make decisions. The best way to do this is to weigh up the options, make up your mind and get on with it. If you have investigated all of the available options, it will turn out okay (or at least it will serve as a valuable lesson). In this day and age procrastinators get left behind.
- Continue to learn – great leaders never stop growing. Ensure you have effective strategies in place to allow for the further development of new ideas and concepts. I belong to several professional organisations (Thought Leaders, Australian Institute of Management and the National Speakers Association), have a mentor and regularly attend conferences and seminars in my area of expertise.
For more of this interview and how to become a great leader check out “Secrets of Inspiring Leaders Exposed!“