Communication is vital and key to the growth and success of a business. As a business owner, this is one of the areas that needs to be refined. Here is a part of an interview conducted by Dale Beaumont with Simone Preston on tips to improve communication in the workplace.
As Founder and Managing Director of Business Women Connect, Simone has combined her dual desires of running a successful business and empowering like-minded women to fully develop their potential. One and a half years after this business started, “BWC” has grown into five major regional areas and is forecasting a multi-million dollar turnover in 2007.
What would be your top seven tips to improve the way in which you communicate with others?
I have hundreds of tips on communication strategies for people in business. Here are some of the key principles that I follow.
- Listen – remember that you have one mouth and two ears.
- Authenticity – don’t put on a show and brag about yourself, people will see straight through it.
- Confidence – have just enough confidence to get your message across, but don’t be too assertive.
- Promise – if you promise someone something, make sure you deliver it.
- Follow up – when you meet people either follow up with a phone call or email saying it was nice to meet them and that you look forward to meeting again.
- Personal interests – find out what personal interests people have, and don’t always talk about work.
- Empathy – understand and have compassion.
For more of this interview and how to improve communication in workplace check out “Secrets of Inspiring Women Exposed!“