Are you an aspiring entrepreneur looking at starting an internet based business? There is much that you need to understand before beginning this journey to success. Find some great tips and advice from an expert in this field in this segment of an interview between Dale Beaumont and Mike Rhodes.
Two days after starting his first business, Mike experienced a minor setback when his internet café was flooded. After the water had gone, he went on to build a popular business, which he sold in 2001 and then moved to Sydney, Australia. Mike now spends his time speaking, consulting and mentoring with businesses on the subjects of online marketing and building websites that work.
What recommendations would you make to an aspiring entrepreneur who wants to get started in an internet-based business of their own?
Just do it! Operating an internet-based business is a great way to live, offers a very flexible lifestyle that’s incredibly rewarding and allows you to work from anywhere you choose. Some steps to get started would be:
- Start by figuring out what things really get you excited, then find a way to create a product or service of real value that is related to that excitement and that people need.
- Get your prototype in front of plenty of people very early on and ask for feedback – don’t shy away from criticism.
- Use a very simple website to capture email addresses of interested people and ask them what challenges they hope to solve with your product.
- Offer them an incentive to help you – maybe a free trial once the product is ready.
- Aim to be remarkable. Don’t try to please everyone and don’t build for the masses – go for the early adopters, the ones who will spread the word about you and your product or service.
- Get the word out. Talk to bloggers, post on forums offering help (not selling) and generally be of service to your target customers. Give before you ask and you’ll do well.
For more tips on starting an internet based business check out Dale’s “Secrets of Internet Entrepreneurs Exposed!“.